Former APLE director gets 3 years for abuse

Former orphanage director and one-time head of child protection NGO Action Pour Les Enfants (APLE) Hang Vibol was yesterday convicted of sexually abusing six children living under his care and sentenced to three years in prison, according to a Phnom Penh Municipal Court official.

Presiding judge Kim Rathnarin found Vibol, the former director of Our Home orphanage, guilty of committing indecent acts against a minor under 15 years old, the official, who declined to be named, said.

The 46-year-old was also ordered to pay a $2,000 fine and $1,250 compensation to four of the five plaintiffs in the case, who were minors at the time, the official said.

The other plaintiff, a parent with two children, will get $2,500, he added.

Vibol, who directed APLE between 2003 and 2004, was arrested in March of last year, based on complaints from at least 12 children living at his orphanage, which he started after leaving APLE.

Some of the victims withdrew their complaints, current APLE director Samleang Seila said yesterday, adding the group would appeal because they believed the sentence too lenient and compensation too little.

“Many children have severe trauma and need more money to spend on their treatment,” he said.

APLE’s connection to the case, which it helped investigate, came under scrutiny during the trial in October, when Vibol claimed the allegations against him were fabricated by APLE founder Thierry Darnaudet and ex-staffer Jean Marie Anno.

According to Vibol’s lawyer at the time, the pair was aggrieved because Vibol reported them to authorities for allegedly embezzling donor funds.

Speaking via phone from France yesterday, Darnaudet said he was “shocked” to learn of the conviction, though he recalled his former colleague’s “evil” streak.

He said Vibol’s claims against him were made-up to keep him out of the country, because Vibol saw him as a threat to his donor funds.

While Darnaudet conceded there was a conflict of interest in APLE investigating the case, he maintained it was warranted.

“We knew that it was going to look strange for most people, but we thought deeply about that and decided at the end of the day, if it is true that some of these children are being abused, that’s our job, that’s our work, to do something about that.”

Vibol’s defence lawyer, Suy Sokhon, could not be reached yesterday.

Additional reporting by Shaun Turton

Source: http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/former-aple-director-gets-3-years-abuse

 

Articles You Might Like

Sex Abuse Victim Finds Justice after Years of Waiting

In the afternoon of the 1st of October, 67-year old Briton David John Fletcher has been extradited from Thailand to Cambodia. On May 9, 2011 Presiding Judge Ke Sakorn at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court sentenced Fletcher to 10 years in prison for rape and ordered Fletcher to pay 20 million riel compensation (approx. US$5,000)

Cambodians get 15 years for attempted baby trafficking

Yesterday, the Phnom Penh Municipal Court convicted Cambodian nationals Heng Chhon and Sam Na to 15 years imprisonment each for unlawful removal for cross-border transfer. They were both arrested in November 2013 while trying to cross the border to Thailand with a seven-month-old baby and two disabled men who they intended to bring illegally to

Country manager for travel agency arrested for child exploitation

Today Australian national T.L., 65, from Sydney was arrested by the Anti-human Trafficking Police in Siem Reap on two charges of purchasing child prostitution from at least two underage girls and making child pronograpy. T.L. became subject of an investigation after the victims stated that he paid them to have sex with him and that

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on telegram
Share on email
en_USEnglish
Scroll to Top

Cookie Policy

We use cookies to personalize and improve your browsing experience. By clicking ‘Accept All’, you agree to  the policy.